Storm Recovery Efforts

On May 25, a tornado caused widespread damage in Claremore late Saturday night into Sunday. You can find the latest updates on our community’s storm recovery efforts, including a list of FAQs and other helpful resources at

Claremore May 2024 Tornado Recovery

Disaster Declaration Status

A disaster emergency proclamation has been issued by the City of Claremore, Rogers County and State of Oklahoma to assist with relief efforts in response to the considerable damage to public and private properties caused by a tornado and severe storms the evening of May 25, 2024.

The Rogers County Disaster Recovery Center, operated by FEMA, is now available to assist residents affected by the recent storm. Individuals can seek support for applying for federal assistance and disaster loans, receive updates on their applications and access information about other available resources. The center, located at the Rogers County Health Department, will operate from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays.
Residents visiting the center should bring the following documentation:
— A photo ID
— Proof of residency (such as a utility bill or lease agreement)
— Insurance Information
— Documentation of damage or losses incurred in the tornado (photos/receipts)
— Social Security Number
— Contact Information
— Any other relevant documents related to the disaster and recovery process

The fastest way to apply is through You can also apply through the FEMA mobile app or by calling the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362. If you use a video relay service, captioned telephone service, or other communication services, please provide FEMA the specific number assigned for that service.

After applying for assistance, your request is reviewed to determine if an inspection is needed to verify disaster-related damage to your home and personal property. FEMA staff and inspectors may contact you to discuss your disaster-caused damage.

FEMA may also request more information to support your eligibility for assistance or information related to your specific disaster-related needs identified in your application. If this is needed, you will receive a letter from FEMA outlining the information needed.

Learn more about what to expect

If you apply for FEMA assistance and indicate that you cannot or may not be able to live safely in your home, FEMA will perform an on-site inspection to verify the disaster-caused damage. The inspection helps FEMA confirm the extent of the damage and determine your eligibility for assistance.

Within a few days, you will receive a call from an inspector, possibly using an unknown, out-of-state or restricted number, to schedule a meeting with you and tour the damaged property. If, after several attempts, the inspector is unable to contact you, you will be sent a letter indicating that your application cannot be processed further. To resume the process, call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362.

When the inspector calls, be sure to write down:

  • The inspector’s name
  • Date of the call
  • Date and time of the appointment
  • Inspector’s telephone number

An inspection can be done only when you or the co-applicant is present. If neither of you can attend, a third party can be designated in writing. Whoever meets with the inspector must be at least 18 years old.

Information that you can gather before the inspection includes:

  •  Your photo identification
  • Proof you owned and occupied your home at the time of the disaster
  • List of people living in the home
  • All disaster-caused damage to the property
  • Your insurance policy and any additional documents the inspector may request

FEMA inspectors are trained to recognize damage caused by a disaster, but they do not decide if you will receive assistance. They record damage that may be eligible for FEMA assistance, which is different from assessments made by insurance adjusters or other disaster assistance programs such as the U.S. Small Business Administration.

Inspectors will walk around the interior and exterior of your home, if feasible. Depending on the amount of damage, the inspection can take up to 45 minutes to complete.

If your house cannot be accessed (for example, a road or bridge is out), the inspector may meet with you at another location to verify your identity, occupancy or ownership.

An excellent video on the home inspection process, which also features American Sign Language, can be seen here.

FEMA’s Individuals and Household Program assistance is intended to help jumpstart your recovery. Here are some examples of basic needs: 

▪ Home Repair Assistance may be provided to homeowners to repair the structural parts of your home. This includes windows, doors, floors, walls, ceilings, cabinets, heating, ventilation and air-conditioning system (HVAC), utilities (electrical, plumbing and gas systems) and entrance ways. FEMA may also reimburse for the actual cost to repair or replace your furnace, private well and septic system that was damaged or destroyed by the disaster. 

Learn more here. 

Popular FAQs

Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management is asking residents impacted by the storms to report damages to their property at Reporting damage helps local and state emergency managers better coordinate response and recovery efforts. Residents can report damage to homes, businesses or agriculture through the online survey.

In addition, Claremore Economic Development and the Claremore Area Chamber of Commerce are partnering to support local business owners with disaster impacts. Learn more here.

City and county officials request that residents stack green waste debris, such as tree limbs and brush, in lengths of 10 feet or less next to the road for pickup, ensuring it is away from gas and water meters. There is currently no public disposal site available and crews will pick up debris as they are able.


If you currently reside in Rogers County and suffered damage to your primary residence, FEMA may be able to provide rent for a temporary place to live while you
are displaced. Rental assistance is intended to cover monthly rent, security deposit and cost of essential utilities such as electricity and water.

Learn more here. 

If you still do not have power to your residence or business and have not reported your issue please call 918-283-8299.

No burn permits will be issued in the City of Claremore until further notice to ensure public safety, limit disruption on storm recovery efforts and protect air quality.

City and county officials request that residents stack green waste debris, such as tree limbs and brush, in lengths of 10 feet or less next to the road for pickup, ensuring it is away from gas and water meters. There is currently no public disposal site available and crews will pick up debris as they are able.